Pages

Tuesday 21 June 2005

An ACTUAL Update! :o

So lets see here. Time to update a little on Kushan.

Been working a lot still, I've noticed that this place has only gotten harder and harder. I'm not gonna quit or anything, it's just that the amount of stuff we've had to shift has been increasing almost daily.
I can tell because of the amount of bags we use. On my first day, I needed to pick up 4 bags when offloading the van, the next day it was 5. Skip forward a few days, it jumped up to around 11 per run, then 15 and finally today it was 25.
Damn.

Also, the bastardly whore that is the government is taking a lot of my money :(
I'm getting taxed a lot, I need to go to the tax office to explain to them that I want more money or something. I'm sure they'll understand ^_^

Speaking of money, I've decided to finally get a new Graphics card to replace this shitty ATI 9800 that I have. Thanks to this card, I now hate ATI passionately, it's forever causing problems in games, crashing, overheating, you name it. And the drivers suck! Even just installing them is a hassle, especially on XP x64.
Oh well, Nvidia for the win.

Which brings me to my next point.....


There's all sorts of different variants of cards out there, usually the number tells you how powerful it's going to be. The low end Nvidia cards are the 6200 series of cards. The high end is the 6800 series, with the 6600 being in between. Makes sense.

But it goes further than that, within each group, there are even more variants, such as the 6800GT and the 6800Ultra.
The 6800GT is clocked at 350MHz/500MHz (for GPU/Memory), the 6800ULtra is clocked at 400MHz/550MHz

But take a look at this.
This is the 6800GT:


And this is the 6800Ultra:



Notice anything? They look rather bloody similar, don't they?
They are nearly identical in fact, until you look at the price. Indeed, the Ultra is £60 more expensive than the GT, but the only real difference is the clock speeds, which you can increase yourself with a simple application. Even the Heatsink and Fan are the same.
So I could pay £260 for a 6800Ultra or I could pay £200 for a 6800GT and overclock it to the speeds of an ultra at no additional cost, in fact I can clock it even faster than that! So by knowing just a tiny simple bit of information, I save myself £60 AND get a faster Graphics card!
I love being tech savvy ^_^


In other news, today while at work, some random guy gave me a full bottle of expensive wine o_0
Makes it a bit of a shame that I don't drink, but whoever gets it in the end will probably appreciate it more than I ever could.

San andreas still rules, if you haven't played it (even if you didn't like other GTA games), I suggest you do. Only downside is that it's put my C++ learning on hold, but I've learned a good bit of the basics already so even if I don't learn any more, I'll be happy enough come september as it'll let me ease into things. Besides, I'm awesome, I'll cope even if nobody there who was or still is in some way a friend and not a twisted psychopath wants to help.

No comments:

Post a Comment